- THE MEANING OF
- Author Unknown
- I ran into a stranger as he passed by.
- "Oh, excuse me please" was my reply.
- He said, "Please excuse me too;
- wasn't even watching for you."
- We were very polite, this stranger and I.
- We went on our way and we said good-bye.
- But at home a different story is told,
- how we treat our loved ones, young and old.
- Later that day, cooking the evening meal,
- my daughter stood beside me very still.
- When I turned, I nearly knocked her down.
- "Move out of the way," I said with a
- She walked away, her little heart broken.
- I didn't realize how harshly I'd spoken.
- While I lay awake in bed,
- God's still small voice came to me and said,
- "While dealing with a stranger, common
courtesy you use,
- but the children you love, you seem to abuse.
- Look on the kitchen floor,
- you'll find some flowers there by the door.
- Those are the flowers she brought for you.
- She picked them herself, pink, yellow and
- She stood quietly not to spoil the surprise,
- And you never saw the tears in her eyes."
- By this time, I felt very small
- and now my tears began to fall.
- I quietly went and knelt by her bed;
- "Wake up, little girl, wake up," I
- "Are these the flowers you picked for
- She smiled, "I found 'em, out by the
- I picked 'em because they're pretty like you.
- I knew you'd like 'em, especially the
- I said, "Daughter, I'm sorry for the way
I acted today;
- I shouldn't have yelled at you that way."
- I love you anyway."
- I said, "Daughter, I love you too,
- and I do like the flowers,
- Especially the blue."