- National Friendship Day
- Proposed by Barrington H. Brennen,
Updated January 20, 2010
- Read below and send your thoughts/input
The idea of a Friendship Day
came to my mind one day while thinking of having a national, proactive
approach to crime reduction in The Bahamas. I had no idea,
until I did my research, that many countries around the world had a national
friendship day. It is wonderful how God leads his Children.
The day is to be a community-wide, non-denominational day and eventually
to be made an annual official day by the government.
The first National
Friendship Day in The Bahamas will be
October 1 to 7, 2011
FACEBOOK National Friendship Day
I proposing to the Government of The Bahamas
to have an annual, National Friendship week/Day.
What is Friendship Day? It is a
time to honor friends and to encourage people to be kind and friendly to all
with whom they come in contact. Friendship Day was started in the
United States in 1935. Now many countries around the world celebrate
the day. It is normally held on the first Sunday of August each year.
When is Friendship Day? I am
proposing that on The Bahamas (every island and cay) our first Friendship Day be on
the second Saturday (Adventists) and the Second Sunday of September each
year. However, the entire second week
should be noted as Friendship Week. This will allow for businesses,
other organizations to participate. For example:
- Friendship Day for Educational
- Friendship Day for
- National Friendship Day for
and Neighborhoods: Saturday and Sunday,
Why Friendship Day? In The
Bahamas, with the concern about the increase in crime and the break down of the
family, it is important that we begin to rebuild our society.
Friendship Day can help us focus on something special that we have--our
friendliness. Friendship Day can help us see the importance of
being kind and friendly to everyone. Social graces seems to be a thing
of the pass. I believe this day can help us regain this
important behaviors in our homes and society. Friendship helps to bring
peace and positivity to our country--a great reason to celebrate!
“Greater love hath no man than this that a man lay down his life for his
friends.” John 15:13-15
National Committee to be Formed. To make
National Friendship Day effective a committee should be organized of persons
across the society. They should include at least: Teachers, pastors,
police, civic groups, social agencies, business, musician, etc. The
committee should have no less than 15 members.
"Your friend is the man who knows all about
you, and still likes you." Elbert Hubard
- The Theme for Friendship Day?
"Let's Enjoy Friendship"
- Friendship Day Religious
- Pass It
It only takes a spark, to get a fire going.
And soon all those around, can warm up it it's glowing.
That's how it is with God's love, once you've experienced it, it's
fresh like spring, you want to sing, you want to pass it on.
What a wondrous time is Spring
When all the trees are budding.
The birds begin to sing,
the flowers start their blooming.
I wish for you my friend
this happiness that I've found
You can depend on him
It matters not where your bound.
I'll shout it from the mountain tops
I want the world to know
The Lord of Life has come to me
I want to pass it on.
By Kurt Kaiser
- Friendship Day Theme Song: "Pass It On" (Secular and religious)
- Friendship Day Theme Bible Text: John
- Friendship Day Mascot: To be Decided
- Friendship Day Suggested Sermon for Pastors:
To be Developed
- What to Do on Friendship Day? We
are encouraging individuals, churches, and organizations to do any or all of
the following: These are only some suggestions:
- Write a letter to a friend
- Purchase a friendship card for a
- Invited a friend for a meal in your
- Invite neighbors to watch a movie
together with you
- Invite a neighbor to your home.
- Visit the neighbors next door and
share something with them
- Call a friend
- Email a friend
- Make an effort to establish a
friendship relationship with someone new
- On Friendship Sunday/Saturday give the
congregation blank paper with the words "Friendship Day" on the
header. Take five minutes within the service to allow the
people to write a friendship note to anyone. The person can be
living abroad. The church can offer to mail all notes for the
individuals after they would have placed them in the offering
plates. The individuals would need to put a complete address
on the paper.
- Have a "Friendship Meal" at the church
- Members have dinner with another
member that day after the service
- Every member bring a "Friendship
Token" to give out to someone during the service.
- Employees can encourage staff to bring
a friendship gift to work on a particular day of Friendship Week
Friendship Day Folk Theme
- Provide a friendship meal at work for
- Encourage staff to get acquainted with
someone at work they do not know very well.
- Have students make friends with new students
- Have an assembly period to emphasize the
importance of friendship
- Have a "Friendship Day Poem and
- Have teachers have a friendship hour
in their classroom
- Radio stations to promote the day.
- All talk shows to spend time talking
about the meaning and importance of Friendship
Proposed National Friendship Committee
Not yet confirmed
- Barrington H. Brennen
- Colyn Major, VP College of the Bahamas
- Angela and James Palacious Ministers of
- Kirk Johnson Radio Personality
- Leon Higgs Educator
- Gill Maycock Minister of the Gospel
- Vecente Roberts Counseling Psychologist
- Kelly Business Person
- Jeff Lloyd Radio Personality